Common Plumbing Problems
Check out the most common plumbing problems and ways you can prevent them.
Common Plumbing Problems
Some plumbing problems are more obvious than others. For instance, you’ve likely dealt with a clogged toilet or shower drain but might not know how to identify corrosion in the pipes of your home or business.
Whether you need immediate plumbing services or more information to diagnose a plumbing issue yourself, the Happy Hiller team is here to help. Request an appointment or contact us today for plumbing repair or maintenance. Otherwise, read on for the most common plumbing problems we encounter as well as how to resolve and prevent them.
Top Plumbing Problems
When considering all the possible plumbing problems you might have, most of them will have to do with the following:
- Broken water heaters
- Burst pipes
- Corroded pipes
- Running toilets
- Overflowing toilets
- Clogged drains or toilet
- Low water pressure
- Sewage backups
- Dripping faucets
- Blocked garbage disposals
Fortunately, your local plumbing experts at Hiller have the experience and professional equipment to take care of anything from simple clogs to complex emergency plumbing requests.
Helpful Plumbing Tips Everyone Should Know
What’s the number-one way to avoid a plumbing emergency? Prevent it from happening in the first place! Although the average homeowner or business owner doesn’t need to be a plumbing pro, there are several ways to prevent plumbing problems with little to no effort:
- Check for leaks on a regular basis.
- Know where the shutoff valves are located for the main water line and each water fixture.
- Never pour grease down any drains.
- Do not flush anything (even if it says “flushable”!) other than toilet paper down your toilet.
- To prevent frozen pipes during winter, keep water running (at a trickle) and avoid setting your thermostat to low temperatures.
If you do decide to investigate a plumbing problem yourself before calling in professionals, remember to take the proper safety precautions. A couple of the most important plumbing safety tips include:
- DO Wear protective gear (like gloves and goggles) while working.
- DON’T ever mix chemicals yourself, as this could create poisonous gas.
When it comes to plumbing repairs, keep in mind the following:
- Fix any plumbing issues as soon as possible because they could lead to bigger problems.
- Make sure the water is off before repairing a plumbing problem.
- When using a plunger for a clogged toilet, make sure the end is fully submerged in water.
- To check for a leak, place food coloring in the toilet tank; if any color appears in the toilet bowl, you have a leak.
- If a problem persists, leave the fixture alone until it is fixed.
- If you are unsure of how to fix a plumbing issue, call a professional. You may just make it worse if you don’t know how to properly resolve the issue.
Plumbing Problems? Call the Professional Plumbers at Hiller
If you’ve got a mystery plumbing problem on your hands, don’t flood your bathroom or basement trying to fix it on your own. Hiller Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, & Electrical is happy to send out a plumber ASAP to perform the repairs or replacements that your building needs. We proudly provide efficient, effective, and expert plumbing services in Tennessee and parts of Alabama and Kentucky. Call Hiller to get in touch or schedule an appointment today!
For more helpful tips and tricks, check out our Happy Hiller blog!
Hiller Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, & Electrical provides residential and commercial service and repair throughout Tennessee, Southern Kentucky, and Northern Alabama. With our mantra, “Happy You’ll Be or the Service is Free!” we are dedicated to resolving any issue with our services. If you have a plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical emergency, Hiller is available for 24/7, same-day service.